Thursday, April 21, 2016

Virginia: Petersburg National Battlefield (Eastern Front)


Battery 5
Part of the Confederate Battery 5

I was in Virginia for a work related trip, but wanted to make the most of it and visit some historical sites. Unfortunately I had to work during the day and didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to at the Petersburg National Battlefield. I got off work at 4PM and headed straight over to the Petersburg National Battlefield Eastern Front Visitor's Center because it closes at 5PM. At first I thought this was a little early, but after I arrived I found out only the visitor center closes at 5PM, but the park stays open later.

The staff inside the visitor's center was very nice and helpful. I watched a short informational film inside the visitor's center, which I really recommend to anyone who is going to visit this park. The film is informative and will get you in the right frame of mind when going out to explore the park.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised that all the historical spots are part of a driving tour. I was given a brochure which explained details of each of the spots. You take your own car on the drive and go at your leisure. The first spot is right behind the visitor's center and is the Confederate Battery 5.

Battery 5

Another canon from the Confederate Battery 5
located behind the visitor's center

I have to confess that I was in somewhat of a hurry. It was still cold out and I was looking forward to eating dinner. I still wanted to see as much as I could, but wanted to do it at a fast pace. The nice thing about the driving tour is that it's self paced. I decided to only stop at a portion of the areas I thought looked interesting enough because of this. If I had the time, I would have taken much longer and probably walked around the trails at each of the areas. I love historical sites like this...you can just feel the history as you're walking around.

My next spot on the journey was Battery 9. This stop has a lot to look at. There is recreated siege fortifications and samples of what soldier's shelters looked like. There are educational boards to read and we learn here that this is the place black union troops had their first major success of the war in Virginia.

Battery 9 Memorial

"At the Confederate Battery 9. Black troops captured this position
during the first day's fighting"

Log Cabin


Battery 9 Siege Fortifications

Example of the siege fortifications

More of Battery 9

Siege fortification with a canon

Battery 9 Continued

More of the siege fortifications

Battery 9 Continued



Soldier's Hut
Example of a soldier's Hut used by Union soldiers here during the 
winter of 1864-65. Four men would occupy a hut like this...
thousands of these huts were built during the seige of Petersburg!


After looking around I then drove my car to the next spot I decided to take a look at...Fort Stedman. Here are a few photos taken there:

Fort Stedman Canons


Fort Stedman


Fort Stedman View

Next up, right down the road was Fort Morton. Not much to look at except a row of canons:

Fort Morton


After getting in my care and heading down the road a bit more, I came upon "The Crater". The short video I watched at the visitor's center and other stuff I've read about the siege of Petersburg all mention "The Crater". Union forces dug a tunnel under the Confederate line, then filled it with 320 kegs of gunpowder. There was a massive explosion in the early morning which immediately killed 278 Confederate soldiers. What could have dealt a death blow to the Confederates turned out to be a Union disaster. Union soldiers didn't take advantage of the surprise and when they did end up attacking, the Confederates were able to regroup and maintain their line. All in all Union casualties were 3,798 and Confederate casualties were 1,491. 

Mohone Monument
Monument at "The Crater"..."To the memory of William Mahone...
A distinguished confederate commander whose valor and strategy at the 
battle of the crater July 30, 1864 won for himself and his gallant brigade undying fame"

The Crater
The remnants of "The Crater"


This was the last of the historical spots that I visited. At the end of the driving tour before exiting there was one last monument that I checked out before leaving:

Massachussetts Monument

"In memory of the soldiers and sailors from Massachussetts who lost their 
lives in the armies of the Potomac and James in various battles in Virginia 1861 - 1865"

All in all a pretty cool visit. I would recommend this trip to anyone in the area. The cost is a nominal $5, but well worth all the history you're able to see and take in. I just wish I had the entire day to leisurely visit each of the spots and take the walks down each of the trails.


No comments:

Post a Comment