Friday, June 3, 2016

Washington State: Kurt Cobain Memorial Park


Park Entrance 
A view from the park entrance. 
Pretty small, but powerful if you're a Nirvana fan


My wife and I were heading to the ocean and I made it a point to stop by the Kurt Cobain Memorial Park on the way. I heard about this place being built and I've wanted to check it out for a while now. Being from the Seattle area Nirvana and the grunge music was huge when I was growing up. I was a major fan of Nirvana as well as Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden, & Pearl Jam growing up. The death of Kurt Cobain hit the fan community pretty hard here!

We stopped by the park and my first impression was that it's pretty small. It's located at the end of a dead end street. I read that Kurt Cobain grew up a couple of blocks away from this park. The park isn't fancy by any means, but I have to say it is pretty cool for a fan to spend some time in the same area where Kurt hung out.

The main sign at the park giving a little history
of the area and Kurt. "His spirit flows with the tide
twice daily" 


Under the Bridge

"Cobain immortalized the bridge through music,
but now the bridge immortalizes Cobain" — Rachel Thomson

Back of Sign

Something in the Way
The sign showing some of the lyrics that were
inspired by Kurt's time hanging out under the bridge

Kurt Memorial

Some of Kurt's quotes on this granite memorial headstone
including "Drugs are bad for you. They will fuck you up"
(but the city mayor found the profanity offensive and
had the word "fuck" sandblasted away)

Air Guitar

Kurt's Air Guitar

KC Memorial Guitar (Back)
The backside of the "As You Were" memorial

KC Memorial Guitar (Front)

The front side of the "As You Were" memorial

All in all, the park was pretty cool to see because I'm a huge fan. I wouldn't suggest driving to Aberdeen just to see this memorial, but if it's anywhere near a drive you're currently on...stop by and check it out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment